Monday, March 7, 2011

March 7th


Okay, you all must be wondering whether I am being transferred or not....well....
 
The Lord has blessed me to remain here in Sydney for another six weeks! To be honest, it it is weird to see that I have been in Sydney, Cape Breton for about 3 months! Woah! Hopefully, within that six weeks we can baptize Byron and Ben! The mission is doing great. We have 33 people on date for the month of March. Elder Turner and I pray that we can accomplish that task of adding to that goal! Wouldn't that be nice? :D
 
So the week started off with a slow p-day. We emailed, shopped, then just relaxed at the other Elders apartment. We all took an hour nap. Oh my goodness, that was great! Then we ventured to another lovely meal at the Betts, so I shall tell more about that in just a second.
 
This week was a good week. We taught, knocked, and met a lot of nice people. Cape Breton has its own unique hospitality. I'm sure you've heard of the "Southern Hospitality" but this is kinda like that but just a little less laid back and not as re-fined. But The hospitality is just great! The Cape Bretoners welcome you with open arms and with open hearts. They welcome you and help you. I am so pleased with the attitude and the respect of Cape Breton. One man that we met said that Cape Breton is "god's country." Now, I have noticed one thing. :D When you wear the Cape Breton tartan people tend to be nicer. It is a bit odd but hey when you wear another persons colors that automatically let you in, despite that hospitality. Aw, the beauty of Cape Breton!  Ben, our investigator is always doing simple acts of kindness for us, like giving us candy, soda, ties...yes... :D and all manner of various items. Also Byron offered us to go get something on nearby's Kelly's Mountain. The Brewster's would have us over for every meal if they could! Again, the hospitality of Sydney. :D So I am so thankful to be here for another six weeks in Cape Breton!
 
Byron - I did not get the chance to meet with Byron this week because we were on exchanges. Pity. But Byron came to church yesterday. Now we were introducing ourselves to one another and Byron says "I'm Byron Buick. I am a veterinarian and I am learning how to become a new member." I just sat there and smiled. Just beamed. :D Aw, that was just great!
 
Ben - Now I'm not sure if I told you this, my gut says yes, but Ben paid a fast offering and again, came to church on Sunday! He really likes church. For 3rd hour we did this temple work/ Spirit world lesson, and some were given peoples names and basically acting as the character. begging for their work to be done. Ben got a southern gentleman and got really attached to the character. He asked if he could keep that paper! The little things bless people lives, it touched him, that's for sure.
 
Now one of the best blessing we have in this life is the Book of Mormon. We are read it, pray about it, and see it in a different point of view to gain more knowledge from God. Now when you read the Book of Mormon over again you see new insights every time. I had the spiritual thought at the Betts after dinner, now the surprising part of this is that I didn't know I was doing til I got to the Betts. So thus, sneaking off to the bathroom with a Book of Mormon on hand, I tried to find a thought. I prayed for the Lord to help me and started to flip through. Now the bathroom was intense, frogs looking at you and seemed to be saying "Hurry up...times clicking." Then it came. Jacob 3:2. I have read this over many times, but this one came differently. I had my thought. We had a lovely dinner and then it was show time. I read the scripture...2. "O all ye that are pure in heart, lift up your heads and receive the pleasing word of God, and feast upon his love; for ye may, if your minds are firm, forever." It is a simple promise. It reminds me of a math problem. 1. Receive the word of God through scriptures and the living Prophets add your heart to the mix and your answer; a feast of love and a mind firm in the truth of the gospel. Simple. Brilliant.
 
So do my math problem, become pure in heart, do not become prideful or arrogant, become submissive, throw your trust into it, and hope for that pure love that Jesus has for you individually, then comes the best part; your minds will become firm, steadfast and valiant. :D  Simple? Indeed.
 
Again, enjoy the week, and feast on the love that Christ gives. For it is the nectar of happiness. :D
 
-Elder Morgan Hardy

No comments:

Post a Comment